Monogram letter for Outside the house

20141227-164433.jpgLast summer in the final 2 weeks before I had to go back to work for the new school year I had an itch to get something done around the house. To begin with our shutters on the front of our house were blue and looking pretty bad. I wanted an updated “fresher” look so I decided to spray paint them gray. The siding on our house is white so I thought gray would look nice. To add to the exterior “make-over” I wanted to make a monogrammed letter for our house. I decided to go with the first letter of our last name. I really like the chevron look so I knew that is what I was going to use. To begin I spray painted the R a base of white. It took 3 or 4 coats to finish the look.

20141227-164505.jpg I taped off the chevron print and painted the rest gray. This was the result after I took all the tape off in the above picture.

20141227-164532.jpgOriginally I wanted my house number to be in yellow but as you can tell from the first picture I ended up layering black numbers on top of the yellow because you couldn’t see it very well from a distance. I really like it the only negative I have is that since our siding is white the white on the letter blends in too much with the house. Now to hopefully get new siding in the future!

Polka Dot Flower Pot

flowerpot

So I am a little late on posting this project. I completed this project probably 2 or 3 days before my youngest child was born. He will be 2 in June. I obviously made a mess with all the dirt, probably because my then 2 year old was being a great helper! Anyways I wanted to make something cute for the front steps that showcased our street address. I bought 3 flower pots from Wal-Mart in different sizes. I spray painted the biggest and smallest pots tan and spray painted the middle sized pot a dark blue to try and match the shutters on my house. Then I bought some circle sponge painter things (it’s been so long I don’t know the technical name)  and used a beige paint to put polka dots around each flower pot.

For the address part I created a template on Word on what I wanted it to look like. I then printed it off and used stencil sheets to create my own stencils. I outlined it with a black paint pen and filled it in with white paint. I then used my number stencils and dabbed black paint to make the number address. I used an exacto knife to cut the stencils out.

After everything was dry I sprayed a clear coat on top to seal everything. I am thinking I am going to change it up this summer but don’t know how yet.

Rain Gutter Bookshelves

raingutterbookshelf

I saw these rain gutter bookshelves on Pinterest and thought they would go well in my daughter’s room. We put one gutter up above her bed so that way she had easy access to books when she is resting (since she no longer takes naps).

I found instructions on how to make these here.

Shamrock shaving cream paint

shavingcreampaint2 I wanted to do something fun with my kids for St. Patricks day. They love to paint so I thought they would like to puffy paint a shamrock. I just free handed the shamrock and then my daughter and I made the puffy paint.

To make the puffy paint I use a can of shaving cream, bottle of Elmer’s glue and green food coloring. Just mix everything together, it’s really simple, and paint!

shavingcreampaint shavingcreampaint3 shavingcreampaint1 shavingcreampaintconner